We are happy to help you as you prepare your child for the Sacrament of Baptism.
Please follow these guidelines for Baptisms at Saint Jude the Apostle Catholic Church:
The family requesting the Baptism should be an “active” family from Saint Jude.
An “active” family is defined as one of the following:
- One that has been registered in Saint Jude Parish for at least three months and attends Mass on a regular basis. Register your family at Saint Jude.
- Has not registered, but has been attending Mass at Saint Jude on a regular basis and is known to be attending Mass by a priest assigned to Saint Jude parish. The family must receive consent from the priest prior to attending the Baptismal preparation class or scheduling the Baptism.
- Has recently moved within the geography of Saint Jude, has registered at Saint Jude and is attending Mass on a regular basis.
If the family requesting Baptism is not an “active” member of Saint Jude parish, they should obtain written permission of the pastor of the parish of which the child (or family) are members.
If the family requesting Baptism is not an “active” member of Saint Jude parish but a member of their family (i.e. grandparent or relative) is an “active” member at Saint Jude, you may have your child baptized at Saint Jude as long you have a letter from your pastor authorizing your child to be baptized at Saint Jude.
Both parents are required to take the Baptismal Preparation Class prior to the child’s Baptism. If it has been more than two years since the parents have attended the baptismal preparation class, they should attend the class again. Please see Baptism Class Schedule
The child should have at least one sponsor (Godparent) that is a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church. Canon Law specifically defines the requirements for the sponsor (Godparent) for Baptism in canons 872 to 874:
- Sponsors must be at least 16 years of age
- Received the Sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist and Confirmation
- If the sponsor is married, it must be a valid sacramental marriage
- The sponsor cannot be the father or mother of the person being baptized
Each child being baptized needs to have a completed Saint Jude Baptismal Information form, along with all necessary documentation turned into the Saint Jude office at least one week before the actual baptism date. See all forms.
Baptisms are private ceremonies generally scheduled on Saturdays. To schedule a Baptism,
please contact Roberta Meadows at (770) 394-3896.