To form a group of qualified and trained altar servers who render faithful, reverent, and meaningful service to God by assisting at the celebration of Holy Mass and other liturgical and devotional functions.
2018-2019 Apprentice Class Parent/Child Information Meeting:
Monday, May 14 or Wednesday, May 23
7:00 pm Ministry Hall
Attend one meeting, no RSVP required.
– Registered/Active Parish Family
– Completion of Third Grade
– Recipient of the Sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, and Eucharist
– Weekly Mass Attendance
– Regular reception of Reconciliation and Eucharist
– Ability to Recite basic prayers of the Mass
– Code of Conduct compliance & fulfill the Guild’s Service Promise
– Commitment to Program by both the server and the parent
Program at a Glance:
- Servers will be ranked according to knowledge, experience, and performance.
- Rank progression: Apprentice, Novice, Skilled Server, Master Server
- Each Rank will have a different Vestment requirement
- Higher ranked servers will have more responsibilities and more opportunities for serving (e.g. Weddings, Funerals)
- Servers are required to attend Work, Pray, Play gatherings designed to help them:
- Grow in spirituality through praying together
- Grow as a community through playing together
- Improve their knowledge and skills
- Prove their abilities as a server
- Understand the requirements for their advancement
- Adult Volunteers are welcome/needed to help with the administration
- Mass Coaches will work with servers before/after Mass
- Trainers will help teach and evaluate the servers knowledge and skills
- Organizers will be needed to help plan and implement Gatherings
- Parental Support is required for servers to be successful
- Read & Share all program communication, i.e. e-mail & training materials
- Ensure timely arrival to assignments (20 minutes before Mass)
- Obtain qualified substitutes as needed
- Support of the program in general
Steps to become an Altar Server:
1st – Attend a 1 hour Parent and Child Informational Meeting, either Monday, May 14 or Wednesday, May 23. Both meetings will be at 7:00 pm in Ministry Hall. No RSVP required.
2nd – Attend one, 90 minute “Show and Tell” Training Session in June, (a choice of dates)
3rd – Participate in one, 90 minute “Demonstration Day” in July (a choice of dates)
4th – Attend our Commissioning Liturgy/Reception in August (open to all family, friends)
To find our more on our next Apprentice Class formation, contact our Altar Server Guild.