To form a group of qualified and trained altar servers who render faithful, reverent, and meaningful service to God by assisting at the celebration of Holy Mass and other liturgical and devotional functions.
– Registered/Active Parish Family
–Completion of Third Grade
–Recipient of the Sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, and Eucharist
– Weekly Mass Attendance
–Regular reception of Reconciliation and Eucharist
–Ability to Recite basic prayers of the Mass (after training)
–Code of Conduct compliance & fulfill the Ministry’s Service Promise
–Commitment to Program by both the server and the parent
Program at a Glance:
- Servers will be ranked according to knowledge, experience, and performance.
- Rank progression: Apprentice, Novice, Skilled Server, Master Server
- Higher ranked servers will have more responsibilities and more opportunities for serving (e.g. Weddings, Funerals)
- Servers are required to attend Work, Pray, Play gatherings designed to help them:
- Grow in spirituality through praying together
- Grow as a community by playing together
- Improve their knowledge and skills
- Prove their abilities as a server
- Understand the requirements for their advancement
- Adult Volunteers are welcome/needed to help with the administration
- Mass Coaches will work with servers before/after Mass
- Trainers will help teach and evaluate the servers knowledge and skills
- Organizers will be needed to help plan and implement Gatherings
- Parental Support is required for servers to be successful
- Read & Share all program communication, i.e. e-mail & training materials
- Ensure timely arrival to assignments (20 minutes before Mass)
- Obtain qualified substitutes as needed
- Support of the program in general
Steps to becoming an Altar Server:
- Fill out the Apprentice Registration Form
- Our registration for new Apprentices has closed. We will reopen it spring 2023.
- Attend a 1 hour Parent AND Child Informational Meeting (both parent and child must attend)
- Saturday, June 4, 10:00 -11:00 am in Ministry Hall
- Attend one, 90 minutes “Show and Tell/Demonstration” Training Session in June (dates TBD)
- Attend our Commissioning Liturgy/Reception in August (date TBD) open to family/friends.
To find out more about our next Apprentice Class formation, contact our Altar Server Ministry.